[pure-silver] Re: Mr. Nash's arrogance

  • From: Gerald Koch <gerald.koch@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 17:02:25 -0700 (PDT)

What we would term pop music did not come into existence until the 19th century
with Italian opera composers.  People actually walked down the street whistling
Rossini.  They waited in expectation for each new composition.

Little of Bach's output could be considered popular.  He was considered old
fashioned even in his own day.  The bulk of his work was for liturgical use by
the Lutheran church.  Mozart's music was largely ignoreed by most people of the
time.  It was only his last composition The Magic Flute (a schauspiel and not
an opera) done at the behest of Schikaneder that achieved popular success.
Schikaneder was an astute business man and knew what the common people wanted.

Jerry