[pure-silver] Re: Mercury I and Direct Positive paper

  • From: Chauncey Walden <clwaldeniii@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:19:44 -0700

On 1/12/2011 2:47 PM, Martin magid wrote:
A couple of months ago I got a Mercury I cameta at an estate sale for a very low price, had it CLAd by my usual repair guy, got an extra spool and a flash unit from the internet, and love the looks and smoothness of operation of the camera. Everything works. The camera was made to use Univex 200 film, a 35 mm rollfilm with a paper backing. I could probably wind some 35 mm film onto the supply spool, but decided to try it out with a strip of Direct Positive paper (from Freestyle) across the film plane. I attached a 10" length of the paper to both spools, and took photos at increasing exposures.

The best photo, slightly Photoshopped, is at <http://www.flickr.com/photos/12103-1217/?saved=1>

All comments and suggestions are welcome. I will next wind a roll of 35 mm film into it, but probably won't know the results until after March 1.

Hi Marty,
I have never used anything but regular 35 film in my Mercury II. Perhaps it was designed for it. I just pulled a sheet I shot on Ektachrome and they are sharp as a tack and perfectly and evenly exposed. These were surprisingly good cameras.
Chauncey