[pure-silver] Limit of Reductionism

  • From: "Bob Rosen" <afterswift@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pure Silver List" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 16:23:51 -0800

It may not be wrong consider digital as not the real thing. Digital is a
state of electromagnetic charge. Silver is an element. Silver, even in a
latent image, is still an element, which is tangible and real. Digital
has to be converted to analog and then into elements using some device.
What is real, really? :-)

DaveR
Hi Dave,

Reductionism has it limits. For example, an element of and by itself has no
complex product value. Carbon is an element. That's all it ever will be by
itself. However, when carbon is part of a molecule, like those that make up
a cell, we're in the realm of biology and medicine. Big difference.

Silver functioning as the metal it is and reduced and fixed in chemical
photography is not equivalent to the electronics of digital imagemaking. In
short, the fact that we can reduce all matter to electrons and the particles
in the nucleus of an atom does not make  atoms the common denominator of the
larger entities they compose. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts
because the whole is different due to the mix of its constituents at various
levels of organization.

In short, a printout -- no matter how convincing it looks -- is not the
equivalent of a traditional silver image and never will be. Sorry to be
negative.

Bob