[pure-silver] Re: Library of Congress photos of the war years

  • From: Jeffrey Thorns <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:49:32 -0800

Something that occurs to me, after seeing this site;

What will people see, 50 years from now, when they look at an archive of photos from our time? Will there be much of an archive, or will all those digital pix be lost? Will the archive consist of pix that 'pre-selected', based on what people deemed worthwhile in the short-run? (Everything else discarded)

Assuming that a lot of the photos are from film originals, will people think that all the folks at the turn of the 21st century were fine-art photographers? ;-)

My father gave me a set of books titled 'A Pictorial
History of the War', there are five volumes, the first
was published in 1940, with a volume published in each
successive war.  Although the bindings are a gorgeous
embossed leather, the actual print quality is not that
great, but the power of the images is breathtaking.
One of the things that sticks with me is how much
propaganda and misunderstanding of the situation is
revealed in the captions of the photos.   It is
difficult to imagine what it must have been like to
live through those times.

--- Jeffrey Thorns <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/

 You can get lost in a site like this.