[pure-silver] Re: Kodalith Ortho 2556 type 3

  • From: "KISS BOB" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 08:00:35 -0400

DEAR ERIC,
When I had my container of goods shipped here 15 years ago I made a point of finding out what the customs agent drank, smoked, consumed freely before he arrived. Here they come to your house and you unseal the container together. I did have to pay a couple hundred for his time and travel but, by the time we drank all that Johnnie Walker Black and smoked those Habanos, he wasn't in the mood to look around very much so he asked me if the list was accurate, we both signed a few forms and he was happily, if wobbly, on his way. All in all, a nice way to spend an afternoon, chatting, smoking, drinking, and saving MUCHO DINERO on duty and VAT. I am not quite sure if it works the same way where you are but I learned this from a friend who did the same thing and had the same result.
     Good luck!
           BOB

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 20:55:58 -0700 (PDT)
 Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Once our shipment gets here from the states, and then once I have some kind of darkroom again, this may be useful as I  have a decent amount of 8x10 lith/ortho film that may work w/this method.  I sold my 4x5 but kept my 8x10 camera reasoning that if a darkroom isn't forthcoming in the immediate future here, I could conceivably do contact printing in cyanotype/van dyke etc.

Unfortunately the shipment, all 3000+lbs of it, won't be here till 7/15 and then there's customs etc to get it through. :(  I guess the upside is this will give me time to find suppliers here.

________________________________
From: D.J. Kennedy <dj_kennedy@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, June 8, 2012 12:53 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Kodalith Ortho 2556 type 3

Speedy:

thanks for the information and the link. Got a roll of another type of film in the camera right now but will reload it with  Ortho film soon and reshoot and develop with your times.

Derek

________________________________
From: Speedy <speedgraphic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 2012 8:14:34 AM

OK,

I found the web page I mentioned in an earlier post.

The recommendations from that page for this film are as follows:

Rated ISO 6, HC-110, 1:200, 14 minutes at 25 degrees Celcius, agitations for the first minute and then every 2 minutes.

Here is a link to the page (cut and paste if the link does not pass)
http://www.markcassino.com/b2evolution/index.php/pictorial_use_of_kodak_lithographi_film

In the comments section there are also a couple of links to other photographer's work with this film.

Looks very interesting!

Speedy

From: nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 21:59:05
-0400

"D.J. Kennedy" <dj_kennedy@xxxxxxxxx>

> I tried developing the first roll of 12 exp in > Rodinal 1:200 stand for an hour.

That shouldn't be any surprise. Lith films are developed in the strongest developers around.

Try using Dektol for 3 minutes with almost
continuous agitation.

Make a snip test exposure and develop it in a tray with a red safelight to get a better idea.

I am not sure what you mean by 'bromide drag' - if there is no image to be, as it were, 'dragged'.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC