[pure-silver] Re: Kodak Wash Aid Patent

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 13:35:18 -0400

At 06:41 PM 4/16/2007 , >Richard Knoppow wrote:

>    The patent states that the sequestering agent or agents
>are there to prevent precipitation the sulfite by calcium or
>magnesium salts in water or carried over alum hardner.
>Citric acid is a good sequestering agent as is the EDTA.
>Probably both are used in the commercial products because
>one may be more effective for certain salts than the other.
>
>---
>Richard Knoppow
>Los Angeles, CA, USA
>dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>====================

April 18, 2007, from Lloyd Erlick,

Sequestering agents are unnecessary if fixer is prepared with distilled
water. (I haven't used hardener for decades ...).

I find the fixer Ansel Adams calls 'plain fixer' just right. Two
ingredients (well, three if you count water). Cheap and quick to mix. (If I
recall, the formula is in the appendix of The Print.)

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com