[pure-silver] Re: Jazz (OT)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:06:16 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin magid" <martin.magid@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Pure Silver" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2014 5:44 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Jazz (OT)

Happy post-Thanksgiving to all. It was a special Thanksgiving because not only did the Lions win, but this was the first Thanksgiving of my 3rd
grandson, born 4 weeks ago.

I love the Johnny Smith -Stan Getz recording, having bought the 10-in. vinyl on my (1st) honeymoon in 1955 in NYC at Sam Goody's record store.
Was it a red vinyl Pacific Jazz?

I can't recall what happened to the vinyl, but I got the CD a few years ago, and still enjoy it. To these old ears, the sound is the same, without
he pops and scratches the vinyl acquired after many plays.

I got on an elevator with a 6-year-old grandson a few days ago, and he was carrying his violin case. A woman asked what his favorite song was, and he couldn't think of the name. I said "If I have anything to say about it,
it will be 'Take Five'.

Marty

I used to have (and maybe still do in storage) Pacific Jazz 10" Lp records and other lables. Some of these were in red vinyl I also had clear and some other colors. Colored records were popular for a time. Some didn't sound that good, I think they may have been transferred from 78 originals. I suppose my favorite rendition of Moonlight in Vermont is the original by Patti Page with Billy Butterfield's orchestra. Somewhere I have the 78 unless its turned to mud. The invention of practical tape recording revolutionized the record business. The recorders were very cheap and very high quality compared to the disc recording equipment available and allowed extended recording time and editing. One could take a finished tape to a lot of places to have a disc master cut and processed. At the time (about 1948) there were four large recording companies who had all the facilities and distribution. Tape changed that very quickly. We have come nearly all the way now with streaming media; no one needs record labels at all now and television and movies will soon be the same. My hearing is badly damaged so I am no longer able to discuss audio quality but I had some experience with early digital recording. I am not sure I am a fan of vinyl, I think a lot of faults attributed to digital recording are really due to the way its done and not the process. Perhaps not but disc recording has a set of vices all its own and is capable of rather high distortion. FWIW after CBS bought Columbia Records they began to make masters on 16" 33-1/3 RPM transcription type discs. Those were then transferred to make the 78 masters. Modern re-releases of some of the old Columbia 78s (like Benny Goodman) are made from the transscription masters and I discovered that there were places where I had heard distortion in the 78s that was actually in the original discs (scuffing recoding styli, etc.). You never know.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL