[pure-silver] Re: It depends...

  • From: "J.R. Stewart" <jrstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:28:03 -0500

Ralph has a good point. Communication, mentoring, and coaching comes with a
set of rules and following them usually benefits everyone involved. But I'll
tell you, I'll tolerate a 1000 liters of bickering if I can glean 10 mls of
useful information. This list is a fantastic resource (having grown up in
the "non-information" age). I'm  really glad it survived the change of venue
and that most of the old gang came along (haven't seen anything of OhBecky ,
however... wonder how her darkroom is coming along?).

If there's one thing I'd like to see on the list that I don't, it's more
discussion about esthetics of photographs. An example is the short thread
some days back about the beauty of the old style photos... some of which had
no deep blacks at all, yet still are able to move people. I know,
subjectivity is hard to describe (that's why it's subjective, huh?).

I'd like to see examples when someone refers to "xyz gives me "long scale"
and what that means from an esthetic (or even an objective) viewpoint, or
how pyro behaves on a TMAX negative (or any negative)--got an H&D curve to
show it? , or what it means when Triple XXX developer "dumps" the low values
(again... got a curve or a photo?). I've not seen many jpg posts on this
list (probably prohibited?), but even a hyperlink would be a great value to
me as a learner.

What ideas do others have to improve Pure-Silver for the coming year?

J.R. Stewart
Leesburg, VA

Happy New Year All!!