[pure-silver] Re: Intensifying Negatives

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:02:00 -0700

At 04:49 AM 3/10/2008, you wrote:
..contemplating how to tackle this slightly underexposed and
underdeveloped 8*10 negative (and with quite some flare from the sun,
low from the left, just outside the image..I did shield the sun away
with the dark slide, guess the single coat from the Symmar shows..so a
further reduction of contrast). Processed in a staining developer
(PyrocatMC)..

Printing on a high grade is not statisfactory, the negative needs punch.
So I was thinking about silver intensification(In-5) and/or bleach and
redevelop in a staining developer..

Best,

Cor

A little more: When using the bleach and redevelop method the developer must be an active, low sulfite, type such as Dektol, otherwise the sulfite will tend to dissolve some of the newly formed halide. Its also possible to redevelop in Sulfide just as in Sepia toning. Most Pyro developers which are designed to form a strong stain image have relatively little sulfite since the sulfite tends to prevent stain formation and also the image wise tanning action characteristic of these developers. So, a strong Pyro developer should work, and will increase the stain.