[pure-silver] Re: Ilford developers

  • From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:42:27 -0500

From: "titrisol" <titrisol@xxxxxxxxx>

I thought Xtol sudden death was solved a long time ago by adding sequestring agents to prevent iron "poisoning". It was in an article in PT in the year 2000.

I have had it go off with boiled distilled water.  Once.
Though it's funny how that's enough to put you off for life.

I don't think the stuff goes off any more than any other
developer.  I've opened up the cupboard and found the M-X
I mixed last month has gone off and think nothing much
of it and mix up a new batch.

The problem with XTol is you don't _know_ it's gone off -
it clear as snow melt when it's gone off and develops film
about as well.

If it would just turn brown and stinky when it expired
there would be no problem.

Right now the only thing to do is to test a snip of film
before pouring in the Xtol.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC