[pure-silver] Re: HP5+ vs. TXT Rollfilm

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 13:07:49 -0700

I meant to address this and got sidetracked. The yellow or greenish stain from Pyro is imagewise, that is, it follows the density of the silver image. In fact, one can bleach out the silver image and print from the stain although its usually of low density and contrast. On graded paper, which is usually sensitive only to blue light the stain intensifies the silver image increasing its contrast and density somewhat but on variable contrast paper it acts like a distibuted low contrast filter. This can have two effects: If a high contrast filter is used it tends to block the light from the highlights (denser parts of the image) so highlight contrast is relatively _increased_ which is usually the opposite of what you want. If a low contrast (yellow) filter is used it tends to eliminate the effect of the stain so the contrast and density is not much different than a non stained negative. However when NO filter or medium grade filter is used the stain acts like a low contrast filter for the highlights while leaving the shadows to print with normal contrast. This is the effect of having a gradual shoulder on the negative. It will tend to decrease relative highlight contrast, about what you want where you have overexposed highlights resulting in too wide a range for printing.
It is, in effect, a contrast mask and a similar effect can be gotten with a contrast mask but they are fussy to make.
Many printing out processes, notably the old POP paper, were self masking. The density of the shadows built up during exposure masking off that part of the image so that further increase in density was slower than the highlights which had little masking. So, images with bright windows, or a lot of flare from bright highlights, could be printed without blocking of the highlights.
Stained negatives, when printed on variable contrast paper, have something of the same effect.
Pyro was the first organic developer used, it dates back to wet plate but continued to be used for decades after other agents had been discovered. There are dozens of Pyro formualas but they became standardized after a while. If one looks at Kodak ABC pyro and compare it with the Ansco or Agfa or Defender formulas you will find they are identical. Because pyro is rapidly oxidized many pyro formulas were split into two or three parts so that they had decent shelf life. Adding Metol to a pyro formula tends to protect the pyro from oxidation but also restrains the chemical reaction that produces the pigment that is the stain (it is a pigment BTW not a dye and is considered to be as stable as the silver image). Because pyro stain was considered undesirable for some commercial uses, particularly motion pictures, there manty attempts to formulate non-staining pyro formulas. They can be found in the older books. However, for the most part metol-hydroquinone formulas supplanted pyro for most uses.

On 10/11/2016 12:33 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

On 10/01/2016 12:32 PM, Richard Lahrson wrote:
I'm not entirely clear of the effects of a
staining developer used for printing on VC paper.
Anyone have experience?
I use PMK and split print VC.  The stain acts like a highlight restrainer -
i.e. It reduces local contrast in the highlights.

This can be helpful when you're trying to hold a really long SBR.  For
example, I have a neg that was shot in a barn with a window view into
a brightly lit scene.  There is detail in barn shadow AND there is detail
in the window (if you burn long enough).  Had I not used Pyro, I doubt
I could have held something like 15 stops of SBR.  Naturally, I can only
get the paper to reproduce 5-6 stops of range, but the negative gives
me lots of choices of what to place where on the print.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx