[pure-silver] Re: General Thank You

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 02:41:24 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Stein <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Dec 8, 2004 1:03 AM
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [pure-silver] General Thank You

Dear Friends,
    A general thank you to those who advised me regarding stains on Ilford B/W
paper. I tried all the remedies suggested without effect and eventually settled
for returning the suspect box. I took the opportunity while in the shop of
stocking up on Ilford fixer and then used this to work on the prints. All trace
of the staining seems to have gone. Cannot say whether pushing this B/W paper
through the same processor that does mu RA 4 is a good idea so have reverted to
Nova tanks for the monochrome. But all's well that ends well.

     I am emboldened to ask another question. I note that there are always a
lot of 6 x 9 Linhof, Horseman, and Graflex outfits and holders on the auction
site - in varying states of repair. Prices seem low, particularly in comparison
with the 4 x 5 counterparts. My Jobo tanks are adjustable for 6 x 9. I also
note that there are even new 6 x 9 holders available from New York....

    But what to put in them? Only Ilford HP5 is listed and even that seems to
be out of stock. Calumet seems no better.

    Has all the 6 x9 sheet film disappeared?

    Can anyone give hints or tips on the practice of cutting down 4 x 5 film
for these holders? Are there commercial cutters or jigs for this? Is this yet
another syren luring me onto the rocks and are they soft, comfortable rocks?

     Uncle Dick

    That's why that equipment is so cheap, film must be special ordered in this
size and not much variety is avaiable. The only sheet film sizes in wide use
now are 4x5 and 8x10. Some 5x7 film can still be obtained but its limited.  As
attractive as this equipment seems I would stay away from it, at least as
usable equipment. Too bad.