[pure-silver] Re: Fixer Stain Removal

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:39:52 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ralph W. Lambrecht" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2009 4:21 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Fixer Stain Removal

What is the latest wisdom on removing fixer stains? I've tried a 50% citric acid solution with limited success but like to get something
more 'agressive'.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Describe the stains. If they are silver stains you may have success by using fresh acid rapid fixer with added citric acid, about 15 grams per liter. This is a mild solvent for metallic silver. For sulfide stains I think one has to resort to stronger bleaches like Kodak TC-3.

Solution A
Water                            1.0 liter
Potassium permanganate           2.0 grams
Sulfuric acid (concentrated)     4.0 ml

Store in a stoppered bottle away from light.

Solution B
Water                            1.0 liter
Sodium bisulfite                30.0 grams
Sodium sulfite, desiccated      30.0 grams

It appears that the sodium metabisulfite of commerce is the same substance as called sodium bisulfite in Kodak formulas.

To use treat stains with a small amount of Solution A, then rince well and treat with solution B. Then wash.

I will look at some other sources for clothes specific stain removers.