[pure-silver] Re: Film Having A "Resurgence"

  • From: Robert Randall <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 10:20:43 -0500

I have two Isomet 405 drum scanners, they are quite possibly the finest drum
scanners ever made. Having worked with Hell, Heidelberg, Screen and a few
others over a 35 year career, I feel I know what I¹m talking about.

A few years ago, Jeff Schewe told me the Imacon 848 was as good as any drum
scanner he ever encountered, so naturally I was curious to see the machine
in action. He invited the Imacon regional sales rep along with their main
engineer into my studio for a demonstration, the results were just abysmal.
It turned out that the Imacon was nothing more than a retro fit Leaf 45
tower scanner from 1993 or so, and it couldn¹t find shadow detail with a
map. Their pronouncement was that the Imacon would best the Isomet, and in 6
hours of embarrassing tests, their engineer couldn¹t come remotely close to
the detail and range of an Isomet scan.

The reason for my rant is to point out the current sad state of affairs for
film reproduction. No one is supporting drum scanners any longer, and soon
there won¹t be any left to make quality scans with. Leaving everyone to
believe that an Imacon is the best there ever was, when in fact it isn¹t
much more than a glorified paper weight.

Lastly, the Isomet is a piece of cake to operate, I could have anyone of you
making quality scans in one 20 minute session.

Bob Randall