[pure-silver] Re: Exercising a shutter

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 21:56:47 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey Thorns" <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2011 4:00 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Exercising a shutter

I have a 4x5 Cambo that I haven't used in about 15 years. It has been stored in good conditions (uniform humidity and temp), but I was wondering about the shutters on the lenses.

I have a 210mm Caltar in a #1 Copal shutter and a 150mm Symmar in a #0 Copal shutter (I think). They haven't been touched in over a decade.

Is there some sort of prep I need to do to them before I begin using them again?

Test the shutter using a shutter tester if you have access to one. There are alternatives using a computer sound card, a Google search should find them. If the shutter is sticky it will need to be cleaned. Even if excercizing it seems to free it up there will still be hardened lubricant and accumulated dirt in it. Do NOT spray solvent into it, the solvent will get all over places you don't want it like the shutter and diaphragm blades. Copal shutters should be fairly easy to work on, the ones I've seen were more like old Wollensak shutters than anything else. That's actually good, Wollensak made very good shutters, its too bad their lenses didn't match. Check the lenses by shining a flashlight _through_ them. Look for haze or dirt inside. Many lenses will develop a coating of haze inside the air spaces. Usually, its not difficult to clean out but even a slight haze has a devestating effect on image contrast.
    My guess is that both lenses and shutters are fine.