[pure-silver] Re: Ever Ferrotype?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 10:00:09 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Sinclair" <photo1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:23 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Ever Ferrotype?

On 21-May-08, at 3:36 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

In the past ferrotyped prints were associated with photofinished snapshots and commercial or publicity pictures, especially those for reproduction. Most of the old style heated dryers had a polished chrome drum so that when prints were dried with the emulsion side against the drum they came out with a glossy surface. Prints could be dried with the surface facing the belt for matte surface prints. Generally prints of the sort mentioned above were made with the idea that the consumer wanted the highest contrast and sharpness possible so the glossy surface was chosen.

When 'working', I put many thousands of sheets of "F" onto the canvas of a Pako drier... to be followed by a 'slip' though the steam on a rather noisy print straightner.

In my early days, I assisted my mentor roll piles of prints onto sheets of waxed plate glass to let dry overnight.. and one had to be careful on foot-placement when entering the room the next morning... un-flattened ferrotyped prints have a bit of a 'bounce' to them.

I still have a cardboard and brown-paper wrapped package of six (I think) chromed brass (again, I 'think') virgin ferrotype plates standing up against the wall in my basement.

Ken

Good ferrotype tins are hard to find these days. I tried glass plates but could never get the wax right. If you don't prepare glass properly the prints will stick and you can't get them off without destroying them. The old books talk about polishing the glass with "french chalk", a variety of coarse talc, followed by waxing with a wax composed of bee's wax in a solvent. I know what you mean about the prints, they pop off the plates when dry. One difference between ferrotyped fiber and RC glossy is in the blacks. RC glossy tends to have a slightly hazy quality which is not so of fiber. I don't know the source of this effect and its been reduced greatly in modern papers but properly ferrotyped fiber prints are still better than RC in this way. Because the support side of the paper dries out faster than the emulsion ferrotyped prints tend to lay flat. A lot of the old mechanical print flatteners, common in photofinishing shops, drew the paper over a small radius edge, bending it toward the support side, to stretch the emulsion and baryta layer. If the print was over dryed this could cause the emulsion to crack or even flake right off. I remember once having a box of publicity photos that had surfaces like dried mud, probably from an overly hot drum dryer.

---