[pure-silver] Re: "Drugstore" BW Prints

  • From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 14:12:48 -0400

That was my biggest problem in using a minilab to print my studio work: subjects photographed in front of the red background would go to cyan, subjects photographed on the hi-key (white) background would go dark, and on the lo-key (black) background, subjects would go light.

When I got rid of the minilab, I went to an Eseco enlarger that has a probe. I set the probe on a flesh tone, and it calculates color and density. Of course, I first have to get out "Shirley" to tell the enlarger what flesh tone is!

Ken Hart
kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx

You don't "eyeball" color balance when setting up a printer, you use a setup strip with normal over and underexposed negatives shot on the film you are setting up. Then you make corrections using a reflection densitometer. Color correcting prints at the end of the dryer, that's a different story. The biggest thing you fix is "subject failure" when the color balance of the subject is not normal. The worst for consumer printing is pictures with Santa, that big red coat gets "corrected" back towards neutral which drives the flesh tones towards cyan and "little Billy" looks like he's choking.