[pure-silver] Re: DDX question

  • From: Horváth Krisztián <hkcsii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:16:14 +0100

Do you want a general purpose developer that delivers maximum speed or a pushing developer?
I don't push often, so it's not an issue. I would like to have an economical one-shot developer that gives good results for 400ASA films such as HP5+, but if it's ok for slower films as well, I won't feel bad, I promise. :) For slow films I like Crawley FX-1, and I'm satisfied with it, but this is not good for higher speeds.

Note that the increase in developing time when reusing developer without replenishing is due to the accumulation of developer reaction products and other substances which come out of the film such as bromide and iodide both of which are restrainers. There are a number of developers which can be used as a one-shot diluted about 1:1 with not much change in the properties of the negative, for instance D-76. DDX is probably the same but should deliver slightly more film speed (less than one stop).
Sorry for my bad English, but I don't understand the last sentence clearly. You mean, if I use DDX in higher dilution (e.g. 1+14 ), it will give more film speed than using it 1+4 or 1+9??? Or vice versa???

Because the development process is not a simple chemical reaction the increase in time when diluting is not linearly related to the dilution. For half strength developer the time increase is around 1.4x rather than 2X.
Clear, but if I use it 1+14 instead of 1+4, it's rather a third-strength dev, so 2X increase in time seems to be OK, doesn't it?

Thanks and regards,
Chris