[pure-silver] Re: DDX Woes Redux

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:14:05 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 12:15 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] DDX Woes Redux

After several exchanges with Ilford UK and then Ilford US, batch
numbers sent, etc.. Ilford is treating my DDX failure has a fluke..
Which I believe is Ilford speak for "client screwed up". In the
high-tech world, we call this a PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard
And Chair) or CODE 13, as in "problem is 13 inches away from the
monitor".. You get the picture.. (pun intended).

The third bottle I purchased, of the same Lot works fine. So go figure.

One quick question, is it futile to try and calibrate a light meter
with a TTL camera meter? Using a grey card and using incident meter and
TTL meter on my F5, the best I can do is 1 stop difference.

   What gives?

When I had my Xtol failure Kodak assured me that they had never heard of such a problem and sent me a new package (which is still on the shelf).
The TTL meter may be weighted. If it is it may not give the same reading from a card as a plain hand held reflected light meter. If the incident meter has a three dimentional integrator (sphere or inverted cone, etc.) its reading will depend on its angle from the light source. you may find the readings closer if the incident meter is layed on the gray card so that its illuminated at the same angle as the card. Also, beware that although the ideal card is a true Lambertian surface (perfectly diffusing) all of the actual gray cards I've seen (or have) are pretty far from that and have considerable specular reflection, so one must be careful of the angle of illumination.
---