[pure-silver] Re: Color film in B&W developer ?

  • From: john stockdale <j.sto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 10:35:44 +1000

In the late 1960s here in Australia I knew a German boy who was travelling around, and even though he was travelling, he regularly developed his black and white film, just as I suppose many Germans did in those days. He was keen on a girl and offered to develop her film for her.

He said to me "she was furious when she saw the film. Can you tell me what went wrong in the processing, John?" As soon as I saw the orange film I knew that it was colour neg film, that he had done in Rodinal. He had never thought of colour for "happy snaps."

I didn't examine the images closely, but it did appear to be a normal black and white neg image on top of the orange base, which, as has been already pointed out, is very hard to print through in black and white enlarging (but not impossible- I have done it).

I used some very out of date Fuji 400 CN film once when I had no colour film. It was at least as old as Pablo's NPS sheets. For what it's worth, it was pretty much up to speed but the prints were very pink. A skillful colour printer had done her best. Apart from the strong colour cast which resisted efforts to filter out, it looked ok.

John
==================
Pablo Kolodny wrote:
Hi,
I'm mostly in a lurk mode to this list but this time I've got a question
some knowledgeable people will be answering.
I've just stumbled with 8 boxes of ten 4x5 sheets of film each box, all of
them dated 2002-05. Film is Fuji 160 NPS and would like to know about
experiences with black and white developers, I wouldn't like to bother with
thinking of shooting color, the film is over 6 years old now.

Any info will be strongly appreciated, developer, developing times... issues
I'll be getting myself to... whatever.

Thanks in advance

Pablo