[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning lenses was: RE: Re: Cleaning picture frame glass

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:23:01 +0200

> I worked for many years for a lens manufacturer and we used denatured
> alcohol mixed 50:50 with ether.  This cleaned well and evaporated quickly.

Would not the adulterants these days (some "nasty" ketones such as MEK and
Campher) be not what one wants to use?

Would not methanol or even, since one clearly is just dealing with glass (the
ether would not do well with plastics), why not acetone? Ether is horribly
volatile.

I tend to use mild alcohol.

For general use with microfibre cloths I typically use a mix of isoprop with
some Aqua dest and a drop of Agfa Agepon (something like 1:1000).

There are probably better surfactants for this application but Agepon is
cheap (I could get some good stuff from Kremer but I think it'd cost me more)
and convienient and I always have some around--- its really just a wetting
agent plus sulfonic acid--- my guess is 2-phenylbenzimidazole-5-sulfonic acid
to block UV-- some sodium salts and sodium benzoate (1-5%) [preservative].

While on the topic of lens cleaning.. Just stuck me that it could make sense
to "bake" one's optics from time to time in a transilluminator-- good strong
UV-B but without the baking heat of sunlight. Make sense? Or just a stupid
morning coffee idea? :-)

Edward C. Zimmermann, Basis Systeme netzwerk, Munich