[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning Nova Clips?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:21:46 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 4:20 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Cleaning Nova Clips?

Hi,

I have been using a Nova Quad vertical tank for processing B&W paper. I am very statisfied with this system as such. Now my clips are getting a bit dity, and I am experiencing some streaks of unfixed emulsion starting from the 2 punctures and/or between the 2 punctures (made by
the nails in the clip).

Perhaps the one has to do with the other, so I want to clean the clips
anyway.

Brushing in hot water helps, but not completely. Any tips on a good cleaning method for these clips? Can a bleach be used (I know you can use the unit for colour work, so I assume that the clips can stand some
bleach)

Thanks & best,

Cor

Late on this. Can you see any residue on the clips? If its silver you can remove it by using strong acid rapid fixer with acetic acid added. This will bleach metallic silver as well as halide. Because household bleach is detremental to most plastics it should be used sparingly but it will remove gelatin residue rapidly. Try brushing on a diluted solution of the bleach and then wash. The old standard cleaner was potassium dicromate acidified with sulfuric acid. This is a very cleaner for glass and some other materials and I have used it on plastic trays without apparant damage. The cleaner can be reused even though it will get dark and ugly looking. I think Kodak also recommended a solution hot sodium carbonate for some types of equipment, probably stainless steel but my Kodak lab book is stuck away somewhere. I would be surprized if a solution of laundry detergent in hot water and a stiff toothbrush doesn't take off whatever is there.