[pure-silver] Re: Chromatic Aberration of Enlarging Lenses

  • From: Georges Giralt <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:34:04 +0200

Hi !
I have used a "Saphir Boyer" f:3.5 of 75 mm focal lenght.
It was a 4 lens design French made just post WWII. Massive lens in brass with a
impressive F stop made of more than 20 blades (from memory).
I was unable to have a sharp print in color, all my 6x6 Ciba were blurry, but
the lens performed well in B&W, using MGIV paper.
I sold the lens and bought a Nikon. Never had a blurry color print (although I
do not print color anymore...)
I own the Peak focuser with the blue filter. I can't see any difference in focus
with or whitout the filter. But my eyes are poor, so it may just be me...
I've tested it with my Laborator 1000 condenser enlarger with my Nikon f:2.8 50
mm, f:2.8 63 mm, f:5.6 105 mm, Computar f4.5 80 mm, and Rodagon f:5.6 150 mm
bought either second hand or new. I do not expect to own so perfect and good
lenses to be optically defect free. So I wonder if the lens designs are at
fault here. I think current 6 lenses design, multi coated from a reputable
manufacturer are resonably perfect. (well as perfect as money can buy).
I think that when color printing has become widespread, lenses began to be
corrected from color aberrations, and so the problem Ctein saw is not one have
to bother with today.
Just my 2 cents here.