[pure-silver] Re: Calling All Chemists

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 21:14:55 -0600

On 02/10/2014 09:09 PM, Peter Badcock wrote:
After recently experimenting with telfon/gas/plumbers tape on the thread of PET
bottles I was amazed to discover that the PET slowly lets oxygen diffuse through.
This is why you won't see beer or wine in plastic PET bottles as they would oxidise
too fast.    I then got the idea from an APUG member to use the silver bladders
specifically made to keep oxygen out.  In OZ I found this product
<http://www.noblebeverages.com/why-pureau/product-range/>, a 5L cask of pure
water.  I use the water to make up my Dektol or Xtol and store the stock back in the
bladder !

Glass is better from a gas permeability point of view  but you still must
ensure you have a perfect seal on the cap plus you need to squirt in an inert
gas (or marbles) or transfer the sol'n to smaller bottles as you use it. With
the bladder, its size deflates as you use it !

Here are some permeability values for Oxygen and CO2 for various plastics.
http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1477080

Regards
Peter

Do Cubtainers suffer from this same permeability problem, I wonder?
Once upon a time, Kodak themselves peddled them as useful
chemical storage devices.  They are nice because they also have
this property of a collapsing bladder as the liquid inside is
removed.