[pure-silver] Re: CAMERA MOVEMENTS!! was: Depth of Field (35mm vs. 4x5 or 8x10)

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:18:34 -0700

At 09:52 AM 10/29/2004, Ken Hough wrote:

>WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!!!!
>Not one of anyones answers has addressed CAMERA MOVEMENTS!
>Thats what LF is all about. Shoot with large as you can F stops and
>camera movements. Come on folks! Use them DO NOT rely on tiny f
>stops.
>Ken

That's great as long as your subject is on one plane. If you extend DOF in
one direction (horizontal plane) with camera movements, you lose equal DOF
on the opposite (vertical) plane. You still need a small f/stop to cover it
all.

Landscapes of flat fields, roads, stuff like that is great for getting DOF
from your feet to infinity using camera movements. Put a few trees or a
fence reasonably close to the camera, in the scene, and you cannot use
camera movements to cover the needed DOF. This is why LF lenses frequently
go to f/128.

You can use a multitude of camera movements to gain a wee bit of DOF
advantage when you have multiple planes in the scene. But small f/stops are
still going to carry the ball in these cases.

I frequently photograph large flat seascapes with DOF from my feet to
infinity at f/8 or f/11 on my 4x5. But there is no vertical component. Just
a rock sticking up a few feet anywhere near the camera and most is lost.
You can reach a happy medium and then start stopping down until it all
comes in focus. This puts you back at f/32 or f/45.

:-)

Jim