[pure-silver] Re: Bad news

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:58:22 +0200

Quoting Martin Jangowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I just talked to my photo materials wholesaler:
>
> Agfa B/W film in 120 is completely dead, when his store is empty, it's
> gone.

Are you sure they (or you) are not (convieniently) confusing availability
with production?

The inventory stocks are exhausted (demand following the announcement of
default led to a run on products in June) but I've not heard that they won't
run the machines.

When Ilford announced their default production stopped but the reserves were
high so products were available but not being made. I'm under the impression
(despite massive layoffs and leaves) that productive work has continued but
that availability is low.

The reserves of Agfa Papers, APX-100 Rollfilm, Rodinal and a host of other
products (even Sistan) dropped and it seems large "distributors" have little
to sell. This has caused many other shops and distributors to go hunting and
order even more.

What will complicate things a bit is that Tura has gone into recievership.
They are still cutting down materials but I'm not sure for how long.

The question is: Has Agfa shut down their machines or have they run a batch?

> Agfa B/W paper is as good as dead, he tries to get a last delivery.
>
> Agfa B/W film in 135 is very uncertain.

If KB-135 (whose stocks are not exhausted) then also 120. Same stuff comming
off jumbos.

Rodinal is not to be had but I'd hardly imagine that Agfa is out of the
Rodinal business...

Untill we all know the future of Agfa-Photo (at the earliest in August) I
think its BAD NEWS and unfair to Agfa employees (many have been working
hard to take up the missing human capacity and others are set to perhaps
loose their jobs at the end of the month) to circulate rumours as truth.

We will see.

Edward C. Zimmermann, Basis Systeme netzwerk, Munich
Office Leo (R&D):
   Leopoldstrasse 53-55, D-80802 Munich,
   Federal Republic of Germany
http://www.nonmonotonic.net