[pure-silver] Re: Another one...

  • From: "Joseph O'Neil" <joneil@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:57:51 -0500

At 07:08 AM 12/10/2004, you wrote:
> From the Toronto Star...
>
>Kodak Canada closing Toronto factory
>Restructuring claims 360 jobs
>Photography giant `adjusting capacity'

-snip-

         I suspect this has more to do with the rising Canadian dollar than
anything else.  About  - oh, 4 years ago it took $1.65 Cdn to make $1.00
US.   Today it is closer to $1.20 Cdn, give or take.   As a result, many
Canadian manufacturing jobs are quietly leaving the country - example, the
Domtar paper pulp plant in Cornwall, Ontario is shutting down in today's
news.    So, if a factory making "real" paper is shutting down, no surpize
photo based paper is disappearing as well.
         Also, i suspect this sort of thing may have a lot to do with it

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/bwf10.html

         Many of you have seen this before.  Along the same line, about 3
weeks ago in the Detriot Free Press, there was a large section on
manufacturing jobs leaving Michigan and going to China.   One quoted exampe
ewas a car parts factory - jobs in USA - around $25 an hour, the exact same
job in CHina - 0.43 Cents US an hour.

         So that leaves me with mixed feelings - there is apparently large
demand for B&W film overseas,a nd large factories in China might "come to
the rescue" for all of us shooting B&W.  Conversely, I hate to see all
those jobs go overseas, out of country.
joe