[pure-silver] Re: Another E6 resource in jeapordy

  • From: mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 20:28:09 -0700

Well it depends on the area.  The only BW I have really ever seen done in a lab was the C41 stuff and I really don't call that BW.  Anyone serious enough to use bw film is usually serious enough to want to process and print it themselves.

Now color and slides may have a market, but not in the volume it once had.  Remaining only analog might be the ticket for some for this reason.  Get good analog equipment now and it will likely last a very long time.  Up front expense, but its not going to need replacing in 2 years.

Its that quick replacement cycle that skyrockets the overhead.  If there are enough people and processing businesses in the area, being an analog wholesaler might be a lot easier and serve a need, much like huge houses used to do.  The difference would be that you would 1. do a good job and 2. turn around time could be much faster maybe even deliver.

Now this kind of business could not survive in the high overhead of a mall or shopping center, but it wouldn't need to be there either.