[pure-silver] Re: Ammonium Thiosulfate

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 07:55:13 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2007 5:20 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Ammonium Thiosulfate

  Hi,

Since Jim has suckered me into this snake oil called Dixactol, the stuff appears to require the use of a non acidic fixer (this is how snake oil salesmen work.. there's always another product that needs to be bought :-)
;-) )

I checked the web and the shipping costs for TF-4 is insane. It's more
then the actual product.

So I am gonna mix this stuff myself.. My cookbook lists TF-2 and TF-3. Other then what the book states, what are the major differences between these two and TF-4? And, can one just order Ammonium Thiosulfite or is it
commonly mixed from two other chemicals ?

  Thanks

--
Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx

The idea is that acid will reduce the amount of the stain image. I have never seen any experimental data to support this but it may be true. In any case a non-acid fixer can be made with just Thiosulfate, either Sodium or Ammonium, and Sodium Sulfite. The Sulfite is necessary to prevent the Thiosulfate from oxidizing rapidly and to reduce developer stain from carried over developer. This stain is a bit different from the desired imagewise stain. About 5 grams per liter of sulfite is enough although some more will not hurt. The resulting fixer will be slightly alkaline. I've never seen any sense in adding an alkali to the fixing bath since it serves no purpose. Some think it will increase washing rate but it really has no advantage especially if a sulfite wash aid is used. If you use a non-acid fixing bath you must also use a plain water rinse rather than an acid stop bath. The rinse should really be a short wash (perhaps 1 or 2 minutes) to remove as much developer as quickly as possible.

---