RE: using binoral mics with ptr1

  • From: "frank cuta" <cuta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 20:59:32 -0700

Shawn,

If you are going to use the PTR1 over the shoulder you will need to
purchase a battery powered mic preamp.  IRTI sells an inexpensive one or
if you are serious I recommend the $150 unit from Sound Professionals
800-213-3021.  You will also need a stereo mic.  Again a resonably
priced one is available from  IRTI or you can easily spend several
thousand dollars.  You might as well go for a less expensive mic since
any recording that you get with a hand held mic is already comprimized
by the fact that you are holding it.

For serious recordings such as with the binaural church mic you will
probably need  phantom power and a special patch cord.  It does not seem
practical to me since battery powered pre amps do not normally permit
the use of microphones which require phantom power and most binaural
microphones  are in this class.  Most people do not know the difference
between a binaural mic and a stereo mic but you can look it up on the
web.  Binaural microphones are probably the least portable microphone
made.

A handy  patch cord that you will want to have when using pro
microphones has  a stereo mini on one end and a split with XLR
connectors on the other ends to accept the microphones.  This costs
about $20-30 and can be picked up at any local pro music store.  When
you get your own microphones you will want to be sure and either get
dynamics (do not require phantom power) or condensers that can be
operated on either phantom power or battery power.  Again, this is
because although most mixers can provide phantom power most battery
powered pre amps can not.  AKG C1000 and
Audio Technica AT-31 are a couple of dual power condensers that I like
to use and they are in the $200-$300 each price range.  If you are
really serious and want to talk about quality microphones give me a call
and we will have a much longer talk about the really great microphones
available over $400 each.

In general dynamics are the most rugged less expensive and are good for
lectures conferences and on stage.   Stick to dynamics for recording
drums and from directly in  front of amplified instrument amps.  For
home studio or recording symphony orchestra chorus or anything live from
a distance you will want  condensers.   Small diaphram for classical
concerts and close mic placement on instruments and large diaphram for
voice and guitar.

Frank Cuta
509-967-2658