[pskmail] Re: pskmail.org server is down

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:58:34 +0200

tisdag 29 augusti 2006 22:38 skrev Rein Couperus PA0R:
> At the moment the server does a wget to the database record when there
> is no local record on connect, and caches is for 24 hours.
>
> I could simply extend the cache, but then you would be unable to change
> the data, unless you make a local copy of the central database every
> day. Another negative effect would be a lot of copies of the data... I
> am not sure if that is a good idea.

Yes, that was what I was refering to. I am aware that it would cause a delay
on updates. Could also lead to old copies of data on some servers. The benefit
would be a whole lot of mirrors.

> Another idea is to send the data record over the air (encrypted) on
> first connect and keep it in the data base until it is erased or
> changed. We could also do this + use a cache of 7 days or so, meaning
> the record has to be refreshed every 7 days...

That is an interesting idea. The good part is that updates could be made
without internet connection. The downside is that several countries, I'm
thinking about one in particular, are quite sensitive when encryption is
mentioned.

Perhaps we are back to the original proposal then, dedicated backup servers.