[pskmail] Re: [morse] Re: PI4TUE down next weekend

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 12:31:53 +0100

Walt,

a dipole at 1/2 wavelength is not omnidirectional, so I'd go for something else.
It depends on the coverage you want. Probably an inverted vee with the apex at
1/4 to 1/2 wavelength would be a good compromise. I use that at PI4TUE, and
it is being worked from all directions, one of them being North, my 2000 km link
from Spain. But I can also see pings answered from Ukraine, which is due East.

For NVIS I think 30m is on the high end, the MUF is around 10 MHz for only a
few hours a day. I think you will use 80m a lot for NVIS.

On the camper I use something like an end fed inverted vee for 30, 40 and 80.
It consists of an 8m fishing rod with wire coiuled on it and pulled forward with
a 4m piece of wire. I can work the Stockholm server easily with 25 Watts with
that.

73,

Rein EA/PA0R/P

http://pa0r.blogspirit.com