[pskmail] Re: fldigi issues

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:22:02 +0200

> PSKmail message from per@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi all,
>
> I see that I have posted that message three times. Sri abt that, I forgot to
> hit the "empty mail queue" menu option in jpskmail. While on that subject I
> feel I should really use an external email client.

actually, when you receive "Message sent..." the message should be removed from
the Outbox. Is that not
happening?

> 1. Alternatives to fldigi
> Well, just for the record: I think fldigi is very good and replacing it is
> difficult. Perhaps we should not limit ourselves to only fldigi and propose
> the pskmail interface to other authors? Its just a socket interface with a
> few xml commands, its very simple.
> What has been done is a port of just the fldigi modem part. I don't know the
> status of that at the moment but it would provide a modem we could integrate
> that would not need x.

I am very much in favor of a separate modem as an alternative to fldigi. Taking
over fldigi enhancements on the modem side
is a matter of time and effort. The need for X to run fldigi prevents us from
running the server on top of e.g. the ubuntu server
version. So if we could use the same modem interface we couid have both.

I would also like to have a DCD output from the modem, to further enhance
channel access.

The server is still using the POSIX Sys V interface, I am working on a tcp/ip
interface.

> 2. java alternative
> Very interesting, I'd like to discuss thus further but its easier to do so
> when I get back home.

A java alternative would be interesting, but it would take a lot more resources
on the programming side.

73, Rein PA0R
(back home for the weekend, as it is raining cats and dogs...)

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com