[pskmail] Re: What I can see/hear on my server

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 09:14:14 +0200 (CEST)

Comments below...

http://pa0r.blogspirit.com

Von: "Robert Krasowski" <rkrasowski@xxxxxxxxx>
Gesendet: Sep 30, 2011 1:41:35 AM
An: "pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: [pskmail] What I can see/hear on my server

Just few lines of update with some questions (like always).

1/ I was able to install missing Perl module Crypt/DH.pm. It took God know how long to do it, I started before leaving for work when I checked during the lunch module was installed, well we just have to be patient. That module was shown as missing by Perl when I was trying to run my server in ver 1.4.6.
 I am happy with the current stable version, so will stick for now with 1.0.42.

2/ My server see few thinks that I  (again ) can not explain for sure.

"23:10 UTC Sep-29-2011: Sending beacon
busy...
Message_out:
00uKB2PNM:26 !3543.59NP07948.71W&D00B
-
I: ParseMode: ARQ new modem set to PSK250R
Adding server AB9FT to list..."

--So what happened here? My understanding is: my server tries to send beacon, channel is busy , so wait and finally sends it. Beacon  was received by AB9FT and ??
On Fldigi I see " QSL KB2PNM de AB9FT.." in my terminal window I see "Adding server AB9FT to list..." so AB9FT hear my beacon and responded with QSL adding my server to the list of servers, is that correct??
Correct
Another exchange:

"beacon:AB9FT
22:50 UTC Sep-29-2011: > Unproto: AB9FT:26 !4344.40NP08743.49W&

22:50 UTC Sep-29-2011: Send>APRS-IS:AB9FT>PSKAPR,TCPIP*:!4344.40NP08743.49W&"

So this is APRS message from AB9FT that I received, what happend here: Send->APRS-IS...... Was my server sending APRS message over TCP/IP to the net??
Correct

 And similar scenario:

"beacon:K4RST
17:59 UTC Sep-29-2011: > Unproto: K4RST:6 (C9WtNh  y
Message_out:
QSL K4RST de KB2PNM AA04-
setting link record: K4RST,9038
setting link record: K4RST,0
18:00 UTC Sep-29-2011: Send>APRS-IS:K4RST>PSKAPR,TCPIP*:!3525.55N/08446.72Wy000/000/"

Setting link record indicate ?? That K4RST was linking with my server??
No, you received a posit beacon from K4RST, and sent in via TCP to the APRS backbone

Sorry about these probably very basic questions but if I want to promote PSKMail ( which I am intented to do) I need to understand it.

And just one more question, I understand also that if  I want to have my station running on two different frequencies (30 meters and 20 meters) I need do scanning mode with two frequences or two separate sets of radio antenna, computer for 2 different frequencies. Now, server running on two different radios must be different, separate or could be the same one, I think the answer is two seperate server for two different radios, correct??

We have set up scanning to cover up to 5 bands with 1 radio. The server uses hamlib to do that.
With the latest alpha (1.4.10) you can have a different schedule every hour of the day, so you can follow the
conditions by e.g. using low bands (80,40) during the night and 30 and 17 during the day....

When you run different radios you have to run different servers. You can run different servers on one computer by
starting them on different users. Of course you would also need one sound card per band....

There is a lot of information in the appendix of the server manual...

Thanks again, and I am so glad that we start having some activity on PSKMail, it is great !!

73
Robert
KB2PNM