[pskmail] Re: W3NR PSKmailserver (4)

  • From: Rein Couperus PA0R <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:17:39 +0100

I am sorry to hear there is so little activity...

The "dropping PA0R from record" is when I connect either to PI4TUE or
SM0RWO. It tells your server I am connected to another server, and yours
doesn't have to bother. Also here in Europe the activity has been quite
low during the Xmas holidays.

During the night I have run the APRS beacon on 3595.250 with 5 Watts.
The last reply from SM0RWO was 8:35 local, 5 minutes before the official
sunrise for this location (sunrise is later in Sweden).

It seems your "beacon watchers" cannot find the frequency, and the
beacon is too short to be noticed.

Normally we announce the center frequency of the PSK signal. That means
that for the FT897, which has a sweet spot (filter center) of 1000 Hz,
the VFO dial is at 10147.000. On the IC756, which has a sweet spot of
1500 Hz (set in the Fldigi PSK modem config), the dial is at 10146.500.

Maybe I should suggest again to make a sked with somebody to test the
link. Here in EU 10148 is so busy during the daytime (mostly through my
testing sessions) that we get a lot of "visitors" on the frequency who
make their 'maiden qso' in PSK125. Also from Russia and the Ukraine, so
the signals are also heard in the eastern part of EU.

When the beacon signal is too short to find it is possible to run a
beacon more often through a short script run via cron. (echo "beacon
blah blah blah" > gmfsk_autofile)

If you need help, please holler...

73,

Rein Pa0R