[pskmail] Re: Users Map again stuck

  • From: Ian Bennett <ibennett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 06:28:07 +1000

Christian,
        Have a look at tinytrak from Byonics (www.byonics.com) or the
"Opentrackers" from Argent systems
(http://www.argentdata.com/products/aprs.html). I've used both and have settled
on the Argent
Systems versions.
        I use these devices on both bands. For 2m, the tracker is installed
inside a Motorola MCX-100 (old
commercial radio modified to operate on Amateur frequencies) and for 30m, it is
inside a Wagner 1729
(1970's vintage, crystal controlled radio, popular with emergency services here
in Australia), again
modified to operate on Amateur frequencies.
        I have both radios (plus a few more!!) installed in my Toyota Land
Cruiser and with a PICAXE based
controller looking after power (delayed power off to ensure at least two posits
are transmitted
before shutdown), the systems are set and forget. No PC (or java) required :-)
         The 30m coverage is truly amazing, with a lot of HF igates around the
coast of Australia. I've
even got posits into New Zealand and the US from the middle of Australia. I've
now set up a rx only
igate of my own in an attempt to give back to the AR community, some of what
I've been enjoying for
years (Family and friends watching our progress on trips).

Ian
VK1IAN