[pskmail] Re: Questions

  • From: Goody K3NG <goody.k3ng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 13:16:42 -0400

Hello Pär,

Thanks for your response. I think Rein is on vacation, so I figured I may have to wait awhile, but your thoughts are appreciated!

I've been watching the coding change with the random delay before QSLing here and I've seen a couple times now where a beacon has been QSLed by both my server node and WB5CON. It's nice to see who can see who.

I'm going to dig into the code more tonight. I'm able to do spot coding here and there, but I don't have an understanding of how the *whole* thing works yet. Plus my Perl is rusty, but it's coming back quickly. Luckily Rein's style and naming conventions are relatively easy to follow. I'm going to enhance some of the logging and create solutions for some of the feature requests I made earlier. Learn by doing, the open source way :-) I'd be willing to code everything into the new 0.5 server code when Rein gets back, if desired.

Fred WB5CON, I've noticed most (all?) of your QSLs have been "QSL WB3CON-3 de WB3CON" when QSLing KB8SKP beacons. Perhaps that $1 variable/parameter holds something else sometimes? I'll have to look closer.

73
K3NG<SOH>00Goody< EOT>

Per Crusefalk wrote:
Figured I should let Rein answer these but I think I had better not let
you wait further.

ons 2007-10-03 klockan 15:04 -0400 skrev Goody K3NG:
A couple thoughts and questions I had:

1. When a client sends out a beacon, the server sends out an
unidentified "QSL".  Theoretically multiple servers may simultaneously
QSL, so the client and everyone else listening can't really tell who
is responding.  Can it be made so the server waits a random number of
seconds (0 to 10) and responds with something like:

<US>QSL K1ABC DE K3NG<EOT>

This way everyone can see when multiple servers can "see" a client and
servers can even see other servers (beyond just hourly beacons).  This
feature could be expanded later and come in handy for the
server-to-server protocol or building routing tables.

Also, in the US everyone needs to identify every ten minutes.  The
server sends out an identified beacon every hour, so technically if a
"QSL" doesn't happen within ten minutes of a beacon or client traffic,
it's unidentified and illegal, I think.

Absolutely, I was going to point you to where you can edit it but I saw
that you had found that anyway. I have been thinking along these lines
too and I'll have a look at your code. I'm not sure abt status of our
subversion server at the moment, if Rein has uploaded the latest that
is, but it would be good if we could use that for these things (no
patching). I'll have a look at that too.

2.  I've been watching server logs and I think I have a decent
understanding of how things work.  I don't quite understand the
"missing=" parameter.  It shows some data when there are
unacknowledged packets on the other end (i.e. good != end), but it's
not always numeric.  Is this a binary encoded parameter that
enumerates the frame numbers that are missing?  How do you decode it?
Could it just be outputted in the log already decoded like:

missing= 13,16,17

Also, what is the meaning of the 'last' parameter?  I always seems to
be a few behind 'good' and 'end'.

I'll pass that one and leave it for Rein.

3.  It doesn't appear that server transmissions are logged, other than
the Disconnect message.  Could all transmit data be logged, along with
the "decoding" of what the message is like is done with received
messages?

Did you mean in server.log? Well, sure. Its just a question of adding
more logging (if its not there already).

4.  Can multiple clients be connected to a server at once?

Not in the arq sense, aprs is unconnected and that works.
5.  Could the logs more clearly identify who connected and
disconnected, like:

16:05 UTC Oct-3-2007: > Disconnect: K1ABC

One more for the to do list, shouldn't be a problem.
6.  I noticed during idle time of a client/server connection that
there's a lot of redundant status messages tossed back and forth, and
usually there is a disconnect after some time.  Are the status
messages going back and forth really necessary?  What is the criteria
for a disconnect to occur?

Leave that for Rein too :-)

7.  I'm getting a lot of "Use of uninitialized value" errors on line
1232 in arq.pm.  Looking (very briefly) at the perl code, I see
"$Hislastblock" however everywhere else there's a variable called
"$HisLastblock" (note the case difference with the L).  If I recall
correctly, Perl is case sensitive and these would appear to be
different variables and perhaps a bug?

Ahh, so that was the problem. I had a look at that too but failed to see
the difference between those two. Sounds like a probable cause!

/Pär

Thanks!

73
Goody