[pskmail] Questions

  • From: Goody K3NG <goody.k3ng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:04:32 -0400

A couple thoughts and questions I had:

1. When a client sends out a beacon, the server sends out an unidentified "QSL". Theoretically multiple servers may simultaneously QSL, so the client and everyone else listening can't really tell who is responding. Can it be made so the server waits a random number of seconds (0 to 10) and responds with something like:

<US>QSL K1ABC DE K3NG<EOT>

This way everyone can see when multiple servers can "see" a client and servers can even see other servers (beyond just hourly beacons). This feature could be expanded later and come in handy for the server-to-server protocol or building routing tables.

Also, in the US everyone needs to identify every ten minutes. The server sends out an identified beacon every hour, so technically if a "QSL" doesn't happen within ten minutes of a beacon or client traffic, it's unidentified and illegal, I think.

2. I've been watching server logs and I think I have a decent understanding of how things work. I don't quite understand the "missing=" parameter. It shows some data when there are unacknowledged packets on the other end (i.e. good != end), but it's not always numeric. Is this a binary encoded parameter that enumerates the frame numbers that are missing? How do you decode it? Could it just be outputted in the log already decoded like:

missing= 13,16,17

Also, what is the meaning of the 'last' parameter? I always seems to be a few behind 'good' and 'end'.

3. It doesn't appear that server transmissions are logged, other than the Disconnect message. Could all transmit data be logged, along with the "decoding" of what the message is like is done with received messages?

4.  Can multiple clients be connected to a server at once?

5. Could the logs more clearly identify who connected and disconnected, like:

16:05 UTC Oct-3-2007: > Disconnect: K1ABC

6. I noticed during idle time of a client/server connection that there's a lot of redundant status messages tossed back and forth, and usually there is a disconnect after some time. Are the status messages going back and forth really necessary? What is the criteria for a disconnect to occur?

7. I'm getting a lot of "Use of uninitialized value" errors on line 1232 in arq.pm. Looking (very briefly) at the perl code, I see "$Hislastblock" however everywhere else there's a variable called "$HisLastblock" (note the case difference with the L). If I recall correctly, Perl is case sensitive and these would appear to be different variables and perhaps a bug?

Thanks!

73
Goody
K3NG