[pskmail] Re: PSK125

  • From: "karel Fassotte" <karel.fassotte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:42:28 -0500

Bob and all
Yes we will release a frequency and time scedule for the tests we will
perform. I am glad there is interest in the experiments we are doing.
don´t forget that it will be hard to recieve our signals because we
are using typicaly NVIS antennas that radiate nearly all energy in an
angle of 60 to 90 degrees, so it will be mainly local. Perhaps some
multipath propagation will be available. The frequencies will be in
the 40 and 45 meter band.
greetings Karel

2006/11/29, radioral@xxxxxxxxxxxx <radioral@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi to the group,

Great news Per on getting PSK125 working! I know the data just flies
compared to PSK63. I am not suprised that you found some issues with the
system as you had a faster transfer speed. I have had some experience with
QPSK and have found it to be slower to "lock" on frequency than standard
BPSK. It has a slightly slower transfer rate and is less sensitive than
BPSK. I have had a lot of experience with Olivia mode. My son and I use it
as a primary mode when out camping and conditions are bad. The modes from
8-500 (tones:8 Bandwidth 500HZ) and slower, ie 16-500 and 16-250 are slow
but real bulldogs at getting through the noise! I have often had solid 100%
QSO's with these modes when the signal was totally inaudible and invisible
on the waterfall. It tracks and tunes rapidly and automatically also.
Perhaps PSKMAIL can combine several of these modes "at the users choice" to
make sure the mail gets through. DRM and RFSM could be used for fast
transfers when conditions were good.

 By the way, the US FCC has issued a correction to their new 500HZ rule to
apply only to the sending of small pictures in the digital bands. All other
modes (Olivia, MT63, Pactor, etc.) can still use wide bandwiths as before
the ruling. Details are on the ARRL website.

Karel, your tests in Ecuador sound interesting and should provide some real
life experience with the different wide spectrum modes. I will look forward
to reading updates. Wonder if you are able to provide any ideas of
time/frequencies so that others may monitor the testing if band conditions
allow?

Per, I am looking forward to the next release of the Live CD's. I am
assuming you will release a server and  a client CD with the updates. Don't
forget about including the installer on the live CD for the client if
possible.

As to other software to incorporate on your next CD's, there is so much its
hard to say. I would vote for keeping the PSKMAIL CD focused on things you
have tried and know work with PSKMAIL. Most of the free stuff can be
download as needed anyway. One program I have used and believe to be a more
convienent presentation of DRM is EasyPal. It works very nicely for file and
photo transfer. Its free software from an Australian ham I believe. I don't
know if it would work under wine or could be interface to PSKMAIL. Let me
know if you can't find the link on the web.

I have been busy this week so have not had time to try and get my Linux PC
online. Maybe this weekend.

73

Bob WD8QLY