[pskmail] PSK125

  • From: radioral@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:13:03 -0500

 Hi to the group,

 Great news Per on getting PSK125 working! I know the data just flies
compared to PSK63. I am not suprised that you found some issues with
the system as you had a faster transfer speed. I have had some
experience with QPSK and have found it to be slower to "lock" on
frequency than standard BPSK. It has a slightly slower transfer rate
and is less sensitive than BPSK. I have had a lot of experience with
Olivia mode. My son and I use it as a primary mode when out camping and
conditions are bad. The modes from 8-500 (tones:8 Bandwidth 500HZ) and
slower, ie 16-500 and 16-250 are slow but real bulldogs at getting
through the noise! I have often had solid 100% QSO's with these modes
when the signal was totally inaudible and invisible on the waterfall.
It tracks and tunes rapidly and automatically also. Perhaps PSKMAIL can
combine several of these modes "at the users choice" to make sure the
mail gets through. DRM and RFSM could be used for fast transfers when
conditions were good.

  By the way, the US FCC has issued a correction to their new 500HZ
rule to apply only to the sending of small pictures in the digital
bands. All other modes (Olivia, MT63, Pactor, etc.) can still use wide
bandwiths as before the ruling. Details are on the ARRL website.

 Karel, your tests in Ecuador sound interesting and should provide
some real life experience with the different wide spectrum modes. I
will look forward to reading updates. Wonder if you are able to provide
any ideas of time/frequencies so that others may monitor the testing if
band conditions allow?

 Per, I am looking forward to the next release of the Live CD's. I am
assuming you will release a server and  a client CD with the updates.
Don't forget about including the installer on the live CD for the
client if possible.

 As to other software to incorporate on your next CD's, there is so
much its hard to say. I would vote for keeping the PSKMAIL CD focused
on things you have tried and know work with PSKMAIL. Most of the free
stuff can be download as needed anyway. One program I have used and
believe to be a more convienent presentation of DRM is EasyPal. It
works very nicely for file and photo transfer. Its free software from
an Australian ham I believe. I don't know if it would work under wine
or could be interface to PSKMAIL. Let me know if you can't find the
link on the web.

 I have been busy this week so have not had time to try and get my
Linux PC online. Maybe this weekend.

 73

 Bob WD8QLY