[pskmail] Other digital modes for PSKMail

  • From: "John Douyere" <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:10:39 +1100

I have re-arranged the scanning frequencies and modes for the VK2ETA server
in Sydney to keep the original frequencies and modes, but I have allocated
two minutes in the 80 and 40M band for other modes.

The key issue I have noticed here in Australia is the issue of lightning
strikes. The lightning stikes can be so close to each other that one full
message can not be transmitted complete, even when the packet size is
reduced and at PSK125 speed.

I would like to experiment with other modes. Logic tells me that a mode with
longitudinal FEC of some kind should help since the part affected by the
strike could be re-built provided it is small enough. What would you propose
I try first? Olivia or MFSK16 or others? Speed can be reduced, but I would
like to keep a reasonnable bandwidth (500Hz if possible, and not more than
1000Hz).

Also, in the PSKMail scanning information file freqs.txt, what is the format
to specify the Olivia modes?

73s,

John