[pskmail] Re: Developers

  • From: "Bill - N8ET" <n8et@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Per Crusefalk" <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:48:48 -0500

Hi Per and the list -

Glad you are getting settled in!

A few random comments in no particular order -

Background - I have been trying to get PSKmail going so I can use it to
communicate from my sailboat in the summertime while the XYL and I are
cruising away from home - usually in the northern part of the Great Lakes.  I
am a complete greenhorn when it comes to Linux, so I am climbing the
Linux learning curve while trying to get PSKmail going. I intend to switch to
Linux at some time in the future, so I have two reasons to learn more about
Linux.

I tried the Mandriva LiveCD last spring, but found it somewhat difficult to get
going (I did not try very hard!) so I did not get PSKmail running in time for
our summer cruise.  I tired the Puppy CD when that came out a couple
weeks ago, and found that it loaded very easily and quickly, and everything
on the three PC's I tried it on worked!  Sound, network, etc.  I was able to
concentrate on PSKmail.   Withing minutes of hooking the PC to the radio I
had connected to two servers here in the  US.

To make my learning precess a bit easier, I set up the client on one PC and
the server on another here at home and interconnected them with audio
cables.  That worked well.  I did have some issues with audio levels, so I set
them each time I brought the system up.

I did find some issues with the setup, and Rein /Per are taking care of these
issues.  A new Puppy ISO image should come out shortly with the fixes, and
hopefully then I will have something that works in my setup.

When I am comfortable that my setup is working, I will do a writeup on what
it took for me to get going with both the client and server, and some
documentation on the use of both.  In talking with Rein - I discovered there
are things in PSKmail that I had not seen anywhere in any of the
documentation.  I'll try to get them all documented in one spot.

I will be installing Ubuntu on my main PC - hopefully today - I want to install
a second hard drive for Ubuntu and set up a dual boot system.  Then I can
start learning about the "how to" of installing software.  I also intend to
keep
busy with the Puppy CD on the laptop.  I have been running one laptop off
the CD, and one I installed Puppy on and have been running from the hard
drive.  From where I sit - Puppy was by far the easiest system for a Linux
Rookie to get up and running (from the CD or doing the install to the Hard
Drive).  I hope we continue to improve and develop the Puppy CD as the
main mechanism for getting PSKmail out to the world.

'Nuff said - I need to go pick up another hard drive!

--
73 - Bill - N8ET
Kanga US