[pskmail] Re: Call for comments on open protocols

  • From: "Rud Merriam" <k5rud@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Rein Couperus'" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Walt DuBose'" <dubose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:08:01 -0600

Hi Rein,

My apologies if you were bothered by my use of the term naïve. Taking your
statement on your web site at face value it is misleading. I have seen
similar statements by other hams. Practice with space probes, digital TV,
etc, also show the value of using FEC.

ARQ introduces throughput degradation, also. Is there any information on the
tradeoffs between FEC and AQR?

Just as adaptive techniques are used with ARQ others can be used with FEC.

Getting into DTN touches a key consideration because it approaches the
problem from a different perspective. Packet erasure handling raises other
questions that may lead to different lower level protocol solutions.
Interesting work at
http://planete-bcast.inrialpes.fr/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=5 uses FEC at
the packet level to reconstruct dropped packets.

Rud Merriam K5RUD
ARES AEC Montgomery County, TX
http://over50.k5rud.us/wiki/