[pskmail] Re: Beta of new live cd available

  • From: Skip <hteller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: per@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 04:54:30 +0800

Hi Per,

The reason the changes I mention are needed is for client-to-client communications, not for client-to-server communications, so it is probably a good idea to coordinate with Rein on the latest revisions and be sure they work in BOTH cases by carefully testing between two computers. Until I made these changes, I could not get a client-to-client connect. The alternative is to have a separate version for Emcomm client-to-client use.

73, Skip

Per Crusefalk wrote:
Hi Skip,

Thanks a lot for testing and submitting what you found, thanks also for
digipan!
I have not used digipan much, yet, but I find it very interesting.

Your findings are interesting, I will have to check if Rein did something
to the file interface. Before I announced this beta I tested that
psk_arq.pl could transmit a ping, it then puts a gmfsk_autofile in the
users home folder, and it could so the file was placed in the right path.
The rx side should attach to gMFSK.log in the same folder and apparently
we have a problem there.

I'll comment your findings briefly:

1. Move fldigi from /usr/bin to /home/guest/mail

I don't think that's necessary, I'll see if its looking for gMFSK.log in
the wrong place.
2. As root, navigate to /home/guest and touch PSKmailclient

I didn't have to do that, there is a PSKmailserver file already that tells
fldigi/gmfsk to use the file based ipc. I'll check if something has
changed that makes this necessary.

3. Change the Desktop link command for fldigi from /usr/bin/fldigi to
/home/guest/mail/fldigi and leave the path alone.

That will cause problems when using the cd for a server, will have a look
at those paths instead.

4. The user needs to be reminded to change to TTY mode for
client-to-client exchanges and edit the callsigns, replacing No Call with
his call and your call with the other station's callsign.

True, there used to be a popup if the config file was missing. Checking.

5. Configure fldigi default fonts, interface, soundcard (be sure PCM is
80% up), and perhaps check to see the transmit signal on the waterfall.

Ok, will do.

6. After the configurations, you need to reboot or initialize the
soundcard, or both (can;t remember), to get the level controls on fldigi
working.

Hmmm, that should not be necessary.

7. Adjust the incoming audio level so no red is just showing. Otherwise,
fldigi will be overdriven and will never connect due to errors in
decoding.

That is a necessary step for the user.

8. If desired, configure an Evolution account for local delivery and point
to /home/guest/mail/Inbox (after the first receipt of a message) so the
incoming messages show up in Evolution where they can be forwarded easily.

I have left that alone as the user will want to edit his own settings.

After these changes, I successfully connected and exchanged messages.

Thanks agn Skip, I'll look into this.