[proteamdavis] FWD: Re: Various matters for the group

  • From: "Tejal Pandya" <tgpandya@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: proteamdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:58:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hey guys and gals,

We are meeting Benham TONIGHT (monday), at 6:30, at Kerr just like last
time. We can drive together again. He also sent me some info which I am
forwarding to you now. It is below in someone else's email to benham.

Tejal

Hi Tejal,

    I have some information regarding protein surface calculations and
chameleon sequences.  The former is the e-mail below, and the latter is in
the attached paper.  Please forward this to everyone in the group. I hope
you have been successful in getting an account on our cluster.  If not,
let
me know and I'll arrange with the SysAdmin.

    Is the group intending to meet this evening?

Regards,
Craig

Hi, Craig-

      First, let me address your questions. The calculation
of the solvent-
accessible surface of a protein from coordinates is one of
the classic problems
from the earliest days of computational biology. The
Richards algorithm, which
essentially involves rolling a water-molecule-sized sphere
over the protein and
determining which external atoms contact it, is the
corresponding classical
approach. Take a look at the following website:

    http://www.netsci.org/Science/Compchem/feature14e.html

where there is a review of the topic, which may give the
information you need.

      In answer to the second question, I'm attaching a paper
by Igor and myself,
which addresses the question of chameleon sequences from a
more general
perspective, and also includes references to the work in the
field. There is a
paper by Mihai Mezei, and one by Minor and Kim, which you
might want to
look at.

Regards,
Shelly