[projectaon] Re: Possibly more on Trevor Newton

  • From: Ingo Kloecker <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 20:29:46 +0100

On Friday 06 March 2009, Simon Osborne wrote:
> Sam Seaver wrote:
> > I contacted the writer of this blog:
> >
> > http://bearalley.blogspot.com/2007/02/david-roberts.html
> > http://bearalley.blogspot.com/2008/12/flagrant-self-promotion-art-o
> >f-war.html
> >
> > Who, on these two pages, mention an artist/editor named Trevor
> > Newton. I didn't mention Project Aon, I just enquired after the
> > man.  Steve Holland wrote back within the hour and apparently, the
> > Trevor Newton he mentioned died in 2002, aged 77.
>
> Ah. That would certainly explain the dearth of output since 2000. :-\
>
> Jon, what is the best thing to try next? In the event of death,
> copyright passes on to the next of kin. However, there's no saying
> that Mrs Newton is still around, and trying to trace the actual
> holders to the second or third generation looks to be even more
> difficult than finding out about the man himself.
>
> My personal opinion is that we should go ahead and use his artwork,
> since the copyright is now in such muddied waters. It is clearly not
> depriving anyone of revenue, we've made a real effort to track the
> holders down, but it has not proved possible. Should anyone come
> forward and ask us to remove it, we could--it is most doubtful that
> would ever happen. Indeed, it's most likely that the current
> copyright holder (Mr Newton's children or grandchildren) is unaware
> of his work for one book by an 'obscure fantasy author'. ;-)

I don't think we should use his artwork without his or his heirs'
consent. Apart from it being illegal, it's also just not right to do
so. After all, we expect everybody to respect the Project Aon License.
Moreover, a copyright infringement lawsuit could easily be the death of
Project Aon.

Regards,
Ingo