[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 7)

  • From: Timothy Pederick <pederick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 19:44:52 +0800

On 12 June 2011 16:55, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> (er)    144, 334:       power word -> word of power

Isn't the name of the Magi-magic spell *Power Word*? I don't think it's
being used here as a spell name (so I'm not advocating marking it up as
such), but I think that because it's *also* the spell name, "power word" is
perfectly fine as a description.

(er)    170:    reinforce -> reiterate [LeRoy McSwain, Jan 2007]

Other options: emphasise, reemphasise, underscore...

(er)    188:    The brilliance and the roar...threatens -> ...threaten
> [LeRoy McSwain, Jan 2007]

Looks like it's already changed, and I agree.

> (er)    200, 228, 309:  gods -> Gods [??]

When used in a generic sense ("there are many gods"), no. When used as a
title ("the Gods Kai and Ishir"), yes, although often with these you could
argue whether it's a title or a description. When used of specific deities,
but not really as a title ("the (G|g)ods dwell there")... maybe.

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/13tplor/sect200.htm>

"their foul gods" -- no, I think this is generic.

> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/13tplor/sect228.htm>

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/13tplor/sect309.htm>

"May the gods" -- hmm, maybe. My instinct is no, but it's arguable.

> (er)    272:    Owing to the speed and desperation of his attack, reduce
> your COMBAT SKILL by 20 points for the first round of this combat only. [I'm
> not certain this is wrong, but just how fast was this opponent moving?]
> [LeRoy McSwain, Jan 2007]

Your CS is *at least* 25 (40 is entirely reachable); his is 23. You're in
psychic shock. At worst, this one-round, 20-point penalty gives him a shot
at an instant kill, which to be honest is his *only* chance for killing you.

(er)    284:    and a myriad animal tracks -> and a myriad of animal tracks
> -> and myriad animal tracks [LeRoy McSwain, Jan 2007]

Ahh, "myriad". Is it like "million"? Is it like "many"? Is it like "lot"? My
idiolect favours "and myriad animal tracks", but all of them are defensible.
Right now I don't feel up to searching the books for different uses of
"myriad"...

(er)    Illustration 2 (Caption):       gods -> Gods

> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/13tplor/ill2.htm>

Illustration 12<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/13tplor/ill12.htm>,
not 2. This is the same as section 200 (which it illustrates).

(ft)    283:    You are submerged in a deadly cocktail of acids and toxic
> wastes from the dungeons of Mogaruith [jfs:  Shouldn't the submergion (sp?)
> in these waters have any effect in the Backpack? As they are full of acids
> it would be strange that the backpack contents somehow survived being
> destroyed by them.]
> [Amarande:  Realistically, maybe. But from a gameplay standpoint I think is
> most unfair. (More comments can be found [[http: //
> www.freelists.org/archives/projectaon/09-2006/msg00007.html]].<//www.freelists.org/archives/projectaon/09-2006/msg00007.html%5D%5D.>
> )]
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/13tplor/sect283.htm>

I too can see your Meals getting fouled, but would that stop Lone "who needs
food I can trap a rat and eat it raw" Wolf from eating them? As pointed out
by David, "realistically" acid *wouldn't* destroy anything -- it's Standard
Fiction Acid that instantly melts things!

--
Tim Pederick