[projectaon] Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 12) -- Footnote Frenzy (Part I)

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Project Aon <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 13:30:11 +0100

Hi fellow pedants

Although we still have the one issue from last week to resolve (respecting the possible footnote placing of the use of Flameshaft in 14tcok Section 243) It seems a good idea to post these to elicit feedback, especially as most of these are potential footnotes as well.

Anyway, it's Week 12 already. Sterling work all round. I'm amazed you're all still here! With Zagarna dead and buried, let's make it a case of Footnote Frenzy as we focus on the proposed footnotes for Books 15 through 17. (Adding footnotes is a pain for updating purposes, so it'd be nice to get them resolved first, before tackling the errata against Book 15!) If you're thinking that we seem to have leapt up in the number of issues per week, you'd be right. There's a darn good reason for this, though. You'll see. ;-)

====================================

The Darke Crusade

(er/ft) 156: and erase any potions of Laumspur and/or Alether. [jfs: Is Laumwort omitted from this list intentionally? Or should it be added there too?] [Amarande: Other healing potions aren't mentioned, either, and there are a number of them (e.g., Larnuma, Oxydine, Oede, Kourshah, Baylon's Fungi, Silver Flask, etc.). I think we should trust in Joe here that he said "Laumspur" specifically and not "ENDURANCE restoring Backpack Items."]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/15tdc/title.htm#sect156>

(ft) 156: Also, erase any Meals you may have been carrying in your Backpack, and erase any potions of Laumspur and/or Alether. [jfs: Does this apply to "jars" (as opposed to potions) too? Since jars (obtained in #13) might contain more than one dose of Laumpsur / Alether it is quite unfair to have Lone Wolf dispose of them fully if he is carrying these.] [Amarande: I do think it should apply to the Jars, though; IMO the Jars are merely Potions that contain multiple doses in a single Backpack Item slot, they are not intrinsically different from the potions. (As far as I recall there are VERY few cases where Joe specifically indicates a specific potion from among a given 'strain' of potions. E.g., book 3 where only the colored concentrates are usable in certain situations, or book 5 when you can only use a Tincture of Graveweed, not a concentrate. In just about every other case I've seen, Laumspur is Laumspur, etc.)]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/15tdc/title.htm#sect156>

(ft) 163: [DED: How about a footnote here to remind players that use of Kai-surge incurs loss of 1 EP?] [ik: Do we also need to add that Kai-surge can only be used if you have more than 6 EP? Or we add a footnote to the description of Psi-surge and Kai-surge. Then we don't have to add footnotes to each and every individual numbered section. Footnotes hurt the flow of reading. Therefore we should use them sparingly in numbered sections.]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/15tdc/title.htm#sect163>

(ft) 190: [DED: How about a footnote here to remind players that use of Kai-surge incurs loss of 1 EP?] [ik: Do we also need to add that Kai-surge can only be used if you have more than 6 EP? Or we add a footnote to the description of Psi-surge and Kai-surge. Then we don't have to add footnotes to each and every individual numbered section. Footnotes hurt the flow of reading. Therefore we should use them sparingly in numbered sections.]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/15tdc/title.htm#sect190>

(ft) 221: If you discover that your answer is wrong, or if you cannot solve the puzzle [Sasha Cooper: The text this option leads to shows Lone Wolf giving up - it seems a bit strange not to allow more than one try.]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/15tdc/title.htm#sect221>

====================================

The Legacy of Vashna

(er) 14: If you win and the fight lasts five rounds or less, turn to 145. If you win and the fight lasts six rounds or more, turn to 25. [LeRoy McSwain, Jan 2007: Section 145 has the captain still alive after being defeated. Presumably, the problem might be solved by emending to: "If you win and the fight lasts five rounds or less, turn to 25. If the fight lasts into the sixth round, do not continue, but turn immediately to 145."]

(ft) 60: [DED: As far as I'm aware, the text in this book doesn't explicitly state that you have now arrived in the Plane of Darkness. However you're asked in The Deathlord of Ixia if you've previously visited this Plane, and I don't see any other time it could have been than here. So, I'd suggest footnoting here that this is the Plane of Darkness.] [tw: 16tlov section 72 does mention that Shamath's home is on the Plane of Darkness. This is a mandatory section.]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/16tlov/title.htm#sect60>

(ft) 93: [DED: I feel there should be a hidden loyalty bonus here, as Scion-Kai with Pathsmanship should be able to understand any language. Suggest the following footnote: If you have successfully completed previous Lone Wolf adventures, possessed the Magnakai Discipline of Pathsmanship and attained the rank of Scion-kai, you may also turn to section 243.]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/16tlov/title.htm#sect93>

====================================

The Deathlord of Ixia

(ft) 150: If you have ever been to the Plane of Darkness before, in a previous Lone Wolf adventure [DED: Suggested footnote: "This seemingly refers to your visit to the Demoness Shamath's domain in Book 17 'The Legacy of Vashna'" (IIRC the text of 17tlov does not explicitly state that you are in the Plane of Darkness, but this must be what's referred to as this is where you meet the Lavas.)]
[so: Relates to the proposed footnote for 16tlov:60 above]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/17tdoi/title.htm#sect150>

(ft) 15: [DED: I think there's scope for a Hidden Loyalty Bonus here, as improved Magnakai Huntmastery at the rank of Primate enables you to climb without ropes. Suggested footnote: "If you have completed previous Lone Wolf Magnakai adventures where you possessed the Discipline of Huntmastery and had attained the Rank of Primate (enabling climbing without the use of a Rope), you may also turn to section 323."]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/17tdoi/title.htm#sect15>

23: [DED: Should there not be an issue/consequence here as to whether or not you choose to use the Sommerswerd in this combat?]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/17tdoi/title.htm#sect23>

35: [DED: Should there not be an issue/consequence here as to whether or not you choose to use the Sommerswerd in this combat?]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/17tdoi/title.htm#sect35>

(ft) 123: [DED: Surely it *is* pretty clear (contrary to the current footnote) that this is a Kai-Blast? Should the footnote not also mention that you should deduct -4EP?]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/17tdoi/title.htm#sect123>

(ft) 234: [DED: Add a footnote here to remind players to deduct 1 EP for the use of Kai-surge?]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/17tdoi/title.htm#sect123>

(ft) 243, 336: Without weapons or equipment you have no choice but to fight this enemy unarmed. (Remember to make the appropriate adjustments to your COMBAT SKILL.) [LM, March 2007: What are the 'appropriate adjustments'? the combat skill loss for unarmed fighting has been eliminated] [TP: I'd suggest footnoting this rather than outright eliminating the parentheses.] [TW: Most players will have CS-boosting equipment and/or [Grand] Weaponmastery in the weapon they usually fight with, so this reminder is probably a good idea.] [DED: This issue is still relevant if the player has not completed previous Magnakai adventures where they had Weaponmastery (i.e. LM's comment "the combat skill loss for unarmed fighting has been eliminated" - the bold text in "The Game Rules" section explicitly states: "Only if you have completed these previous adventures will you benefit from the appropriate bonuses in the course of the Grand Master series" - this appears to overrule the description of Kai/Magnakai Weaponmastery "...no COMBAT SKILL loss when fighting bare-handed" - indeed it might be worth footnoting this in the descriptions of Weaponmastery and Curing.]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/17tdoi/title.htm#sect243> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/17tdoi/title.htm#sect336>

(ft) 330: [DED: Should there not be a footnote here reminding the player that they must possess at least 6EP to use Kai-Surge? Also, once they use it, it should cost them 1EP.]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/17tdoi/title.htm#sect330>

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/17tdoi/title.htm>

(er) Many: [JD: Is Ixiataaga undead? Do you get the Sommerswerd bonus when in combat against him?] [jb: I always assumed that Ixiataaga was undead - he looks like a reanimated skeleton after all. But then when I went to add a footnote about it, I looked for a reference to back up the footnote. I never found one. This probable misconception about Ixiataaga being undead may need a footnote itself.]

(er) Many: [JD: At what point does using the Sommerswerd become permissible again?]

THE MASTERS OF DARKNESS

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/12tmod/title.htm>

BOOK 12 (220): [bk: Section 220 is unreachable. To get there, you have to be an Archmaster with Nexus, which means you have all but one discipline. However, the only route there is 150 -> 80 -> 249 -> 67 -> 121 -> 220. 249 is only reachable if you don't have Huntmastery at Archmaster level, and 67 is only reachable if you don't have Pathsmanship at Tutelary level. So to get to 220, you must be an Archmaster who has neither Huntmastery nor Pathsmanship.] [tp: The only (simple) way I can see to make it work is to move the "longer than 4 rounds -> 121" option to 83, rather than 67. Now, that seems like it's punishing you for having advanced skills -- in 83, you avoided the ambush thanks to your advanced Pathsmanship, but now you might get an instadeath if you take too long to win -- but I think it actually kind of works. Everything is in your favour: you ignore two rounds worth of EP loss, and your opponents have a Combat Skill that's 4 lower than it is in 67. If you can't finish this fight in 4 rounds, maybe you deserve to face instadeath. Anyway, it's arguably better than risking instadeath for not being a Tutelary with Pathsmanship.]

SHADOW ON THE SAND

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/05sots/title.htm>

(ft) 05sots 58: If you choose the wrong section, then turn to Section 156 as indicated above. You do not get a second guess. -> If you choose the wrong section, then turn to Section 98. You do not get a second guess. [jc: If you choose the wrong section, you trigger an alarm (as stated in section 156), so you cannot have a second guess and should go directly to section 98.]