[projectaon] Re: Mentora bonus

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 17:06:36 +1200

OK, well since noone else seems to want any input, lets agree on that
interpretation. Which means that there is no need to adjust the
footnotes to account for this particular interpretation (just the
millionty billion other possibilities other people have come up with).

I have poured over the rules and found this in the "Rules for Combat"
section (a section that I usually skim over):
"1) Add any extra points gained through your Magnakai Disciplines and
Special Items to your current COMBAT SKILL total."

Which seems pretty clear cut; in COMBAT you should definitely combine
any applicable bonuses (well at least from disciplines and special
items).

Given that, it does lend precedence to adding bonuses together. So I
take back my statements that theres nothing in the rules about combining
bonuses.

On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 08:11 +0100, David Davis wrote:
> Chris, I believe the phrase "Add 2 to the number picked" literally means
> "add 2 to the number picked".  :)

This part was never in dispute.

> That is taken in conjunction with any other rules sentence that tells you to
> add (or subtract) any other amount.

This "assumption" was the issue. At the time I thought the rules did not
tell you that you were allowed to add bonuses together. While its still
possible that bonuses outside of combat are not supposed to be added
together, its lots less likely (as otherwise this would be clarified).

> The process is commutative (if I remembered that mathematical term
> correctly?), i.e. it does not matter what order you add or subtract them in.
>
> In any situation where you are adding or subtracting things to a total
> before a combat, you might have over half a dozen bonuses to tot up.
>
> You seem to be thinking of it like it was a line out of assembler code or
> something like that, rather than English.

No. I was treating it as it was literally written. The ambiguity stemmed
from the fact that I could not find anything that said the bonuses
should be applied at the same time (rather than only one or the other).