[projectaon] Map Fonts (Book 8)

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Project Aon <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 21:56:15 +0000

Hi all

Remember I was asking for volunteers to help create fonts based on Gary Chalk's labels from the first few colour maps of the LW series? Well, I've been a bit busy recently dealing with the aftermath of a hard drive failure...

But I've just re-discovered some work I did for the Book 8 map and I'm placing it on the PA site in the hope that someone more skilled than I can complete the job.

About two months ago I was working on creating separate images for each letter/character from the map for Book 8. This was based on the hi-res greyscale maps I uploaded last year. I scaled each character to be the same basic size, cleaned them up, then cropped each one out as a separate PNG image (and then converted each to SVG as well for good measure). I was hoping that someone who has good font software and knows what they're doing can take this and use it as the basis for a font. I also hope that I've saved someone some work by doing this, but I honestly don't know the workflow...

<http://www.projectaon.org/staff/simon/LW_08_Font_Src.zip>

Included are A-Z and a-z, though only five numerals (0, 1, 2, 5, 7), and several other characters (parentheses, period, apostrophe, hyphen).

If this is of any use, I can also take a look at some of the other maps, though it's a bit of a slow process.